Growing Businesses in the Age of Platforms
March 05, 2018
One consequence of the digital transformation is that platforms are becoming increasingly prevalent in today’s economy.
For this module please pick ONE company/organization and discuss how it creates and captures value in platform markets:
Issues you may want to address (feel free to consider other related issues not listed below):
- How to scale up platform businesses?
- How do various factors such as local/global network effects and multi-homing affect competitive dynamics in platform markets?
- When can an entrant take over market leadership when competing with an incumbent in a platform market?
- How can product/service-centric firms grow into platform-centric firms?
- How do firms cooperate and compete with powerful platforms when they serve as complementors and partners of these platforms?
Create an approximately 500-750 word post to make your contribution on digit.hbs.org by 6pm on March 5. Please create appropriate tags for your post. Please also respond to and comment on three other posts per module. Feel free to use graphics, data, videos and links to other sites to corroborate your points.
Note: Since our third module is on crowd-based business models (business models that leverage collective intelligence from a large number of users), please do not pick crowd-based companies such as Kickstarter and Threadless for this OK blog post.